The Ontario Student Trustees’ Association – l’Association des élèves conseillers et conseillères de l’Ontario (OSTA-AECO) is pleased to announce the election of Aisha Mahmoud as President of OSTA-AECO for the 2022-2023 academic year.  

Aisha Mahmoud is a student trustee for the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board entering her second term. “I’m so grateful for the opportunity to serve as this year’s President,” says Mahmoud, “and I look forward to working alongside my executive council to make student-centred changes in Ontario’s education system.” 

As president, she will lead the organization’s advocacy and work with the rest of the executive council to represent student voice at the provincial level. Student Trustee Mahmoud is looking forward to working alongside the Ministry of Education and other partners to create safer and more equitable learning environments for Ontario’s 2.1 million students. 

She will be joined by the following members of the executive council: 

• Declan Amaral, Chief Executive Officer 
  • Tiya Patel, Public Board Council President (DSB of Niagara) 
  • Stephanie De Castro, Catholic Board Council President (Toronto Catholic DSB) 
  • Antong Hou, Public Board Council Vice-President (Ottawa-Carleton DSB) 
  • Katie Bowie, Catholic Board Council Vice-President (Halton Catholic DSB) 
  • Naomi Musa, Public Affairs Coordinator (Toronto DSB) 
  • Siobhán Marie, Policy Coordinator (Peterborough Victoria Northumberland and Clarington Catholic DSB) 
  • Kya Steinbach-Parker, Outreach Coordinator (DSB of Niagara) 
  • Taylor Novosedlik, Media Design Coordinator (Renfrew County DSB) 
  • Steffen Zylstra, Operations Coordinator (Niagara Catholic DSB) 
  • Tabarak Al-Delaimi, Professional Development Coordinator (Ottawa-Carleton DSB)  

During Mahmoud’s term, she hopes to continue working towards OSTA-AECO’s vision and taking action on recommendations regarding student well-being and student achievement as Ontario moves into a post-pandemic education climate. Additionally, the executive council hopes to enhance current curriculums with a focus on transferable skills and equitable representation.  

“I’m beyond excited to continue building on the foundations laid by past executive councils at OSTA-AECO,” highlights Mahmoud, “and for this team to make our mark on publicly funded education in Ontario. Students’ voices play an important role in shaping our education system, and I’m confident in the change we can make this year.” 

-30- 

For additional information, and for media inquiries, please contact: 

OSTA-AECO Communications 
hello@osta-aeco.org  
t: 888.994-9374