After a year of virtual conferences, on November 4th – 7th 2021, student trustees from all over Ontario gathered in downtown Toronto for the annual Fall General Meeting. Student trustees were able to network with like-minded peers, discuss topical issues in education and continue to learn about their roles and responsibilities. Deputy Minister Nancy Naylor discussed the importance of student voice in education and answered the inquiries student trustees had regarding the school system during a pandemic. President of OPSBA, Cathy Abraham, spoke about upcoming scholarships and discussed the contributions student trustees continue to provide in education. Our student trustees also had the opportunity to further their knowledge surrounding period poverty with a presentation from Bleed the North.

Student trustee Eleftheria Voliotis enjoyed the Fall General Meeting: 

Attending the FGM Conference was such a privilege. My co-trustee and I learned so much about our roles and responsibilities. I found that the mock board meeting was a great opportunity to enhance my knowledge about Robert’s Rules. It was helpful to hear someone speak on behalf of the Ministry and learn more about Ontario schools. Not only did I learn a lot, but I had so much fun interacting with other student trustees throughout FGM. It was great getting to know people from across Ontario!”

The conference was a success, with over 70 student trustees participating in person and through a virtual hybrid model. We look forward to the Board Council Conference taking place in February 2022.