FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TORONTO, ON – The Ontario Student Trustees’ Association-l’Association des élèves conseillers et conseillères de l’Ontario (OSTA-AECO) is excited to announce the election of Gorick Ng as its incoming president for the 2009-2010 academic year.

Mr. Ng was re-elected for a second term as student trustee for the Toronto District School Board and will be entering his grade twelve year at Marc Garneau Collegiate Institute in Toronto this September. An internationally recognized student leader, Gorick has served as Student Council President, Student Ambassador for the Toronto Foundation for Student Success and Co-Chair on the Toronto District School Board Student SuperCouncil.

Gorick Ng looks forward to working with a large and diverse group of student trustees to further the voices of students and shape the future of public education in Ontario. He is excited to lead comprehensive studies on the current state of student leadership in the province and work with student trustees to empower young people at the school and board levels through policy and community outreach. Gorick also looks to further the association’s vision for equitable access to extracurricular activities.

The association hosted its annual conference, this year entitled “Passion, Knowledge, Experience: A Student Trustee” on May 28th – May 31st in Toronto. At this time Mr. Ng was elected president through a majority vote from a large range of candidates. Other members of the incoming executive include Hart Murdoch, Elizabeth Urso, Haakim Nainar, Cassandra Curcio, Donovan Chong, Fan Wu, Alison Vicrobeck, Patrick Quinton-Brown, Briar Culbert, Nils Lau, and Jacob Brodka.

OSTA-AECO will be hosting three conferences during the 2009-2010 academic year, including its Fall General Meeting in October, Board Council Conferences in February, and its Annual General Meeting in May. Board Council Conferences will take place in Ottawa while all other events will be hosted in Toronto.

–30–

As the largest student stakeholder in Ontario’s education system, OSTA-AECO represents the over 2 million students in the Ontario education system. The association promotes the unity without conformity of all affiliated student trustees in order to advance the student vision. Student trustees are youth representatives elected by their peers to bring the student voice to school board tables to improve the quality of education across the province.