OSTA-AECO is a one-of-a-kind organization in Canada. We’re an independent, non-partisan group of democratically-elected student representatives in grades 11 and 12. We sit on Ontario’s 72 public school boards and we’re driven by our belief in the power of student voice. We work in our local communities and on the provincial stage to ensure that students are always put first.
Position: Board Member/Director
Compensation: $nil (volunteer position)
Time commitment: Five to ten hours per month (meetings, preparation, events) and three weekends per year for attending OSTA-AECO conferences
Term: Rolling term, minimum two years with subsequent renewals upon review
OSTA-AECO is seeking to hire a qualified individual to join our board of directors.
OSTA-AECO empowers and advocates for the students of Ontario and provides rich, tailored professional development to student trustees across the province so that they are well-equipped represent the needs of their local communities.
The Board will support the work of OSTA-AECO and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While OSTA-AECO’s chief executive officer (CEO) leads day-to-day operations, the Board–CEO relationship is a partnership, and the Board’s appropriate involvement in operations is both critical and expected. Specific Director responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance, and oversight expectations
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO as they develop and implement OSTA-AECO’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by OSTA-AECO for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving OSTA-AECO’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the CEO
- Assisting the CEO and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other Directors and chief supervisory officers
- Partnering with the CEO and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees and taking on special assignments as necessary
- Representing OSTA-AECO to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization by upholding and championing OSTA-AECO’s Code of Conduct & Ethics for Employees, Volunteers, and Directors
- Ensuring OSTA-AECO’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities OSTA-AECO serves
- Attending each of OSTA-AECO’s three annual conferences (one each in fall, winter, and spring) in a supervisory capacity
OSTA-AECO’s Directors will serve a two-year term to be eligible for renewal for additional terms dependent on performance reviews. Board meetings are held monthly and committee meetings are held in coordination with full board meetings.
Applicant eligibility is limited to those who have formerly served as a student trustee in Ontario.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about OSTA-AECO’s mission and who has a track record of board and community leadership. Selected candidates will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. Their accomplishments will allow them to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Directors. Only former student trustees in the province of Ontario are eligible to apply.
OSTA-AECO is an equal opportunity organization committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage people with lived experiences as members of Indigenous, Black, or equity-seeking groups to apply. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of OSTA-AECO’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of OSTA-AECO’s stakeholders, partners, and beneficiaries
- Experience in one or more of the following areas is an asset: audit/accounting; corporate and social responsibility; corporate finance; legal/regulatory; risk management; and/or technology management.
Service on OSTA-AECO’s board of directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in direct relation to Directors’ duties.
This job posting closes on February 11, 2021 at 11:59pm EST. We thank all applicants for the time they invest into submitting an application for this position. Please note that only successful applicants will be contacted by early March 2021 for an interview.
If you have any questions about this posting or the application process, please email Arjun Dhanjal, Chair of the Board.